Each year, the respected travel guide authority puts together a definitive list of where to travel next. This year’s ranking includes “buzzy cultural happenings, hip cities, and off-the-beaten-path destinations that spark the imagination” – all of which could be used to describe elements of the Mother City.
This accolade brings the city’s total to 12 for the year, or one per month.
“This is the cherry on the top for us, underpinning our capabilities as a destination and the global interest that continues to grow in visiting Cape Town. We applaud all of our busy tourism industry professionals; they deserve our praise and respect, particularly during this time of year when we are enjoying the crowds. I encourage all locals to interact with visitors and, if having a break, to enjoy some exploration of this magical place.” – Cape Town Tourism CEO Enver Duminy
CAPE TOWN ACCOLADES 2016
- Western Cape voted Golf Destination of the Year, 2017, Africa and Gulf States (IAGTO – International Association of Golf Tour Operators).
- Cape Town announced as number one city globally for tattoo affordability and studio availability according to the YEAY App and Global Tattoo Index.
- In the 2016 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Awards, the top three restaurants are all Cape Town-based: 1. The Test Kitchen, 2. La Colombe and 3. The Restaurant at Waterkloof. In addition, The Greenhouse at The Cellars-Hohenort came in at number 7, and Camphors at Vergelegen at 10.
- Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel guide for 2017 lists Cape Town in the top 10 cities to visit in the world.
- The 2015-16 Telegraph Travel Awards chose Cape Town as Best City (for the fourth year running)
- In Condé Nast’s Reader’s Choice Awards, Cape Town took the honour as the number one food city in the world for 2016
- The Condé Nast Readers’ Choice Travel Awards 2016 chose Cape Town as Best Overseas City for Restaurants and Bars.
- Cape Town has been named as Luxury City Destination of the Year for the second consecutive year in the Luxury Travel Guide Africa & Middle East Awards 2016.
- Listed in the top 5 global travel destinations as “surprisingly gay-friendly” in the New York Times/SCRUFF survey on gay travel, 2016.
- Post Office Annual Holiday Money Report – 2016 – Cape Town announced as best-value long haul destination option for 2016.
- Robben Island chosen as South Africa’s most loved landmark at the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Award, 2016.